Area Real Estate Manager
At McDonald's, we are committed to being the best, and that starts with finding the best people. We have built a team of extraordinary people from around the world. We are problem solvers, risk takers, innovators, and thought leaders that take our work seriously, but have fun doing it. We challenge ourselves to get smarter and sharper every day, we value personal and professional growth, and believe in rewarding and celebrating our successes.Job Description:
Position title: Area Real Estate Manager
Department: Restaurant Development
Position band: Supervisory/Consultant (Global Grade 3)
Reports to: Regional Real Estate Manager
Type of position: Full-time, permanent
Location: Dorval, Toronto
The Restaurant Development Department is hiring an Area Real Estate Manager, based in our Burnaby office. The role reports to the Senior Real Estate Manager, Western Canada. This individual will, within an assigned geographical area, be responsible for sourcing and negotiating deals for locations for new McDonalds.
You will strive to make continuous improvements to the existing, growing real estate portfolio, by securing quality locations that will maximize income and return on investment. Your primary objective will be to contribute to the Development Plan, primarily in producing new, freestanding locations and leading deals through internal approvals, contractual negotiations, ground breaks, openings.
Key Customers include the restaurant customers, Regional and National Leadership, Development Team, Owner Operators and Regional Staff.
Who You Are:
Are you passionate about the real estate business? Make an impact by utilizing your strong knowledge and creative thinking to grow an iconic global brand. Join our team to make your mark!
What’s in it for you?
This is an unparalleled opportunity to join a winning organization during an exciting time of transformational change. You will gain exposure across all levels of the organization, from your team members to the Executives and Franchisees. You are looking for a company with a winning culture where you can grow in depth and breadth while making a tangible impact on strategic initiatives.
Job Responsibilities: In addition to following McDonald’s policies and procedures, principle accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain strong market knowledge and understanding of assigned region, including coverage gaps, opportunities, trends, projected home/work/shop growth, competition, and other factors that contribute to knowledgeable real estate decisions.
- Identify and acquire real estate for freestanding locations, including negotiating terms and conditions of real estate agreements (up to the executed L.O.I. or Offer to Lease) and if required, partner with the Real Estate Transaction Manager to optimize the site development and internal approval processes
- Collaborates with key customers to create, maintain and update the 3 Year Strategic Plan
- Vision Planning - Gathers and analyzes information on the potential of the market and each restaurant in assigned geographical area
- Assists with presentation of site packages to management for approval.
- Coordinates the presentation of development opportunities to Owner Operators/McOpCo
- Partners with the Area Construction Manager to prioritize development opportunities to ensure best use of capital (e.g., timing, funding and returns) within the region.
- Creates, and executes the development plan to meet portfolio returns and goals of the Development Team
- Ensures best location/best value for all real estate acquisitions
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and qualifications:
- The experience:
- 5-7 years Commercial Real Estate experience with demonstrated experience in site selection and unit acquisition, combined with effective negotiation skills.
- Experience in the Quick-Service-Restaurant (QSR) industry is considered an asset
- Strong Real Estate Knowledge and experience within the province of British Columbia.
- Collaborative and communication skills: Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively collaborate with management, staff, and external partners.
- Innovative problem-solving skills: Critical thinker and ability to escalate when assistance is needed in a timely manner.
- Project management experience: Strong organization and multi-tasking skills with the ability to make critical decisions to drive project success
- Technical skills: Advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Agility: Ability to work in fast-paced environment with the ability to adjust quickly to change; multi-functional matrix organization experience is an asset.
- Bilingualism (French, English) - For this position, when an employee is based in Montreal, French will be the primary language of business. In addition to the knowledge of French, the position of Area Real Estate Manager requires strong oral and written English skills.
Our organization is present throughout Canada as well as in many other countries.
Following an assessment, we have determined that the duties related to the position of Area Real Estate Manager require the knowledge of English, in addition to French (both oral and written). This position requires, among other things, the person to communicate orally and in writing with national departments, suppliers and franchisees located outside of the province of Quebec, including in Ontario and Atlantic Canada. Our organization has business that requires national coordination. We have also determined that the knowledge of English that is already required of other employees does not allow for the execution of the duties requiring the knowledge of English in connection with the position of Area Real Estate Manager. However, McDonald’s restricts as much as possible the number of positions for which it requires the knowledge of a language other than French. McDonald’s requires English proficiency only when necessary to the execution of an employee’s duties.Additional Information:
McDonald’s Canada and Owner/Operators are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. Our workplaces have a long-standing policy of providing fair, equitable, and accessible opportunities for all employees and prospective employees. Accommodations during the application process are available upon request.